Writers

• Thirst 48 pt. II Mixtape Review
    By Jackson Jabir
    Boogie, the same rapper that provides depictions of the lusty society we are surrounded by, is the same the rapper that released one of many peoples Summer ’16 banger anthems Oh My, along with long time conscious rap favorite of many, including myself Bitter Raps, is back again with another mixtape. Speaking on the many issues that arise far too often in our anxiety cantered, self-conscious, self-perpetuating world of guilt. Speaking about his greatest fears and what he’s he most proud of, Boogie seems to be an open book using this mixtape as a confessional. He leaves our ears as the recipients to his deepest thoughts creating a deep connection between the artist and consumer that many artists wish to create.

Thirst 48 pt. II, Boogie’s most recent mixtape, is spent teetering on the top of a pyramid with walls composed of conscious rap, love songs, and motivation appointing head boppers. Boogie finds a way to relate to almost every type of listener within his ever-diverse bars. The issues he presents are relevant, as trust becomes harder to come by, love and lust continue to blur together. Boogie’s words are the glasses that help clear and break down these complicated issue-instigating cataracts. His vision is 20/10.

Through uplifting acoustics and bass beats, mixed with timely placed hard hip-hop strokes, Boogie exhibits bars with the depth of the ocean that is broad enough to fit any listener’s personal problems, yet his lyrics are acute and specific in order to stay true to himself and his own moral stories. Sitting in the first-class observation car aboard the “Boogie-train,” he parades his capabilities to install imagery of his vision and landscape in the listener’s mind. Boogie speaks of growing pains, inspiring thoughts of your first love (especially in song Sunroof featuring Dana Williams) and your first real spurts of success and growth. Through describing warm happy times and cold harsh memories, he shows us what he is a product of and aide’s listeners in doing the same.

Boogie seems to use what was all around him as he grew up and became a man in Compton to orchestrate an underlying thesis of what his plans are as he presses forward towards being a bigger person. Far beyond all the petty predicaments that he finds himself in so often, it seems he has realized that the water he once found himself drowning in is now quenching his thirst by teaching him moral lessons that he learns from. Taking moral lessons from his past, he describes right from wrong with lucid lyrics that his fans and new listeners can easily take to heart regardless of their background.

2 Standout Songs:

“Still Thirsty”
    In the opening song the listeners hear on the mixtape is peppered with slow piano strokes and with heartfelt rhymes about why a “thirst-quenchable” love is so hard to come by, along with heavy personal lines talking about his growing up and how his perspective changed as he developed. Boogie shows his struggle between lust and love in many lines throughout this song/mixtape but “It’s different women that I’m hitting too. As soon as I finish, hit Jamesha like I’m missing you,” is one of the many lyrics that show his constant battle exposing that love can easily be abused and corrupted by thirst, the main topic of Thirst 48 pt. II. Boogie goes on to share how his perspective has changed as he has grown up, although he may be “Still Thirsty.”

“No Way”
    The second song on the mixtape No Way, comes after the soft, romantic piano carried love song described in the above paragraph, Still Thirsty. No Way displaces any doubt one might have perceived about Boogie’s confidence, as he always seems to be speaking about his love life and past weaknesses. No Way’s strong chorus shows the other side of Boogie, which carries a stern set of guidelines that he seems to have put in place in order to prevent problems of the past. “I don’t stand for it, better recognize I’m the man for it,” insists that he is self-motivated to continue his growth part of that being he is willing to own up to his flaws. Although the deeper meaning of this song can be sought out, the beat produced by Keyel, long time producer for Boogie, has a high vibrancy that matches well with the buoyant pace of Boogie’s voice. You have the option to step away from Boogie’s tirelessly articulate and bop your head as this beat was intended for you to do. Projecting wisdom and confidence over upbeat rhythms, the mixtape’s temper of conscious and love is set aside as if No Way is a gift to all of his fans making the next party playlist.

Never limiting himself to one topic of discussion, he perpetually gains fans, as more and more people are exposed to what he represents, both a helpful poet and a confident rapper to play at the next big party with No Way and Just Might. Boogie relates to many different walks of life, the descriptions of social media thirst and ability to bring back smiling memories can easily be felt by anyone reaching deep into his well of wisdom. Still a rapper with less popularity and credit than him, his talent and work ethic deserve, Thirst 48 pt. II leaves Boogie shooting off of the starting blocks once again into the next step of his career.

Looks like your connection to PigeonsandPlanes Music Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.