Who else has a love/ hate relationship with Anthony Fantano aka theneedledrop?

• He is definitely the best reviewer on YouTube and he always brings up valid, reasonable points about why he likes or dislikes something. However, I think we all can agree that some of his ratings, especially for some rap albums are outrageous. Most recently, the Schoolboy Q album, how could you give that a 5/10?

• He's very self-aware about the memes and his fandom and stuff, and I don't know if that makes me hate him or not.

• As a long time viewer of his channel can't help but to love the guy, he's very aware of his fans and I think from what I am observing on his second channel he is really embracing that side. Deep down he's just a regular dude who loves music, loves memes, and makes these videos about his own opinion on the music his fans want to hear from, obviously a lot of people get way too critical about his scores and stuff but it's healthy to have that subjectivity in his videos and the comment section. I think that's what he expects and thrives for. Met him at SXSW in 2014 at his own showcase, his head surely is a melon.

• personally do not like most of his reviews. he pays no attention to the full body of work: 'channel orange' is a 10/10 because of the fucking amazing songwriting & the description of each world created in each song. he gave it a 7/10 and didn't even address songwriting much.
    he gave 'wolf' a bad review without paying any attention at all to the world tyler created in it.
    he does nail some reviews, i'll give him that; but tbh ion like him, he doesnt pay enough attention to the work.

• @2000xgn ia. seems like he shits on acclaimed albums to seem edgy sometimes. it's annoying

• @tvglare said in Who else has a love/ hate relationship with Anthony Fantano aka theneedledrop?:

@2000xgn ia. seems like he shits on acclaimed albums to seem edgy sometimes. it's annoying

EXACTLY OMFG "to seem edgy" kJAJJAJAJ

• If you like an album, you like an album. A random guy from youtube should have no influence on how anybody feels lol

• @no said in Who else has a love/ hate relationship with Anthony Fantano aka theneedledrop?:

If you like an album, you like an album.
    A random guy from youtube should have no influence on how anybody feels lol

i agree as fuck. but in the topic of like/dislike him, ion like him bc he pays no attention to certain important/integral parts to an album

• Never Forget
    Yung Lean's 'Unknown Death 2002'
    BREAD/10
    0_1471115810026_Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 3.16.32 PM.png

• I believe that all music critics, unless they are doing near book length or deep essays critical analysis, are useless in the modern world.
    That is to say, in a world where you can listen to whatever you want at a moments notice, the critic is just some asshole with an opinion and not a very good one because they exist on the lowest rung of the musical food chain. Before the internet where I had to spend money to hear an album, a critic made sense.

But that also implies that they're a tool of a capitalist society at large meant to arbitrarily determine the worth of an artist so people know what to buy.

So now, critics are more tastemakers than anything because their original function and secondary function are useless.

Which brings me back to your original question: I dislike Fantano cause he doesn't actually know what he's talking about. He likes music, but he doesn't understand it on an actual musical level, so his criticism ends up half baked and pretentious. He's blinded by his own personal taste, and still has the nerve to hand out number scores like a grade. But you could say this about any critic. And as a tastemaker, his true function, his opinion are no more thoughtful or complex than Pitchforks, he just hates shit more than them. So if you want to like Pitchfork but still think you're better than people who read Pitchfork, then Fantano is for you. Im grown so Im pretty good at deciding whether or not I like things on my own.

TL;DR: He ain't shit.

• fuck that guy

• administrators

i don't respect youtubers

• I really have to assume most people who bother with reviews have no sense of self or identify who are easily influenced lol "FANTANO DIDNT LIKE THE ALBUM...I CANT FUCK WITH THIS" look how wack that sounds

• @WillyHolly said in Who else has a love/ hate relationship with Anthony Fantano aka theneedledrop?:

I believe that all music critics, unless they are doing near book length or deep essays critical analysis, are useless in the modern world.
    That is to say, in a world where you can listen to whatever you want at a moments notice, the critic is just some asshole with an opinion and not a very good one because they exist on the lowest rung of the musical food chain. Before the internet where I had to spend money to hear an album, a critic made sense.

But that also implies that they're a tool of a capitalist society at large meant to arbitrarily determinate the worth of an artist so people know what to buy.

So now, critics are more tastemakers than anything because their original function and secondary function are useless.

Which brings me back to your original question: I dislike Fantano cause he doesn't actually know what he's talking about. He likes music, but he doesn't understand it on an actual musical level, so his criticism ends up half baked and pretentious. He's blinded by his own personal taste, and still has the nerve to hand out number scores like a grade. But you could say this about any critic. And as a tastemaker, his true function, his opinion are no more thoughtful or complex than Pitchforks, he just hates shit more than them. So if you want to like Pitchfork but still think you're better than people who read Pitchfork, then Fantano is for you. Im grown so Im pretty good at deciding whether or not I like things on my own.

TL;DR: He ain't shit.

dawg i highkey fucking respect you.

• music critics/reviews are a means of exposure to me. i figured that's what they were to most people. that's all they should be tbh

• @WillyHolly said in Who else has a love/ hate relationship with Anthony Fantano aka theneedledrop?:

I dislike Fantano cause he doesn't actually know what he's talking about. He likes music, but he doesn't understand it on an actual musical level, so his criticism ends up half baked and pretentious.

he's a dilettante as far as i can tell. i don't understand how anyone takes him seriously

• @2000xgn
    Aye! I try, man.

• @tvglare I just realized that dilettante is like the sophisticated version of hipster. Like a sycophant is just a classy ass kisser.

But yeah, having your own opinions is hard cause then you would have to think hard about stuff and argue your point and even...risking being wrong! I think that's what stops people from thinking for themselves, the fear of looking dumb. Which is a pretty self-fulfilling prophecy.

• @WillyHolly it's a fancy term for poser, which is essentially a hipster lol but yeah popular opinions are trendy. no one wants to feel dumb or wrong, esp on the internet. but even fantano tries too hard to go against popular opinions. it's all about ego tbh. ppl are too self-conscious online and want to be praised. thankfully the music critics i follow are knowledgeable enough where i can respect their opinions, whether i agree w them or not

• I don't like the dude but i watch his videos from time to time, not as much anymore, but his opinions are valid. I think people give him shit because they think "hipsters" shouldn't have opinions on hip hop lol tbh

• ugh. he's annoying af. always so condescending, giving notes based on his own stupid standards. i don't think he can be called a critic.

Looks like your connection to PigeonsandPlanes Music Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.