Do people still download music?

• administrators

I've been using MP3s/digital files in general since I learned what an MP3 was (I think I got into digital music files around the mid-90s). I usually have to have SOME kind of file on my computer/external to feel OK.

With the influx of streaming services (Spotify, Apple Music, TIDAL, YouTube, SoundCloud, etc.), what are people doing? Trusting these services/the cloud to hold onto the files they "own," or making sure that these songs/albums are being downloaded so they have a copy?

• I'm with you on that, I like having files. I see the cloud as just somebody else's computer that I can lose access to if the internet goes out or I lose phone service, so I'd rather just maintain the files myself and have more control over them.

That said, streaming makes total sense. Stepping back and looking at it, the reason we got to own records and tapes and CDs and MP3s in the first place was because it was the most convenient way for us to listen to whatever music we wanted whenever we wanted to at the time, but now that streaming is a thing, that's not the case for most people anymore.

But with streaming, you lose that sense of security you alluded to, but plenty of people don't see that as a priority. I guess it's a debate between convenience and ownership/access (or as much ownership as MP3s give you).

• @khal i love downloading sht. in my phone i use streaming services, but i dont feel happy unless i have my favorite files actually downloaded into my google drive + hard drive. all my favorite albums are downloaded. usually either rip the audio from soundcloud if it's on there, or download illegally online. i love having files + physicals + etc ya kno? makes me feel connected to it more than jus streaming

• im 16 by da way so i wasnt """raised""" on mp3 as much as i was on streaming but yep, still feel safer

• @khal I'm pretty much fully converted to streaming services at this point. I save a lot of stuff for offline play, which solves the "no service" problem for me, but I do fear a scenario where Spotify goes under and I lose all my playlists/saved music. I'm assuming (hoping) there would be enough of a notice before something like that happened to export playlists, but that's definitely a risk of abandoning the idea of "owning" music.

I've lost thousands of mp3s when hard drives have crashed, too, though... and streaming services do avoid that problem.

• I'm always anti-change until one day, I try it and it's convenient. Then you're searching Apple music and the song you wanna hear isn't available. Until they pull CDs off the shelf altogether, there are certain projects I will go out and buy. I don't really stream that much, got other things to do with my phone. Loading music on a USB and plugging it in does one up flipping through a binder of CDs.

• administrators

@EricSkelton said in Do people still download music?:

I've lost thousands of mp3s when hard drives have crashed, too, though... and streaming services do avoid that problem.

the absolute WORST. i need to cop a new one soon.

• administrators

@Jsar said in Do people still download music?:

I'm always anti-change until one day, I try it and it's convenient. Then you're searching Apple music and the song you wanna hear isn't available.

that always bothers me. kind of frustrating, like YOU ALMOST HAD IT, HOW IS THE TWO OR THREE BEST SONGS ON THIS RELEASE MAGICALLY NOT ON APPLE MUSIC!?

• My music is now split into three locations:

1. iTunes for Soundcloud downloads (usually SC artists that aren't on Spotify) and the occasional highly anticipated project (mixtape or album leak :/)
    2. Spotify for most albums (new and educating myself on classic albums) and personal playlists that I update after looking through Spotify's discovery playlists and playlists by people I know in music
    3. Soundcloud for reposting every song I like in my feed (from there I decide which to download to iTunes). The reason I download to iTunes is just for convenience when arranging monthly mixes (which I post on Soundcloud). I also use SC to listen to projects by smaller artists that aren't on Spotify.

I was definitely slow to the streaming service movement, but this summer I have noticed myself on Spotify WAY more than I used to be. And I think it has overtaken iTunes as my main location for music. Also, I wanted to like Apple Music. It is just so bad. iOS 10 will improve it, but right now Spotify is king + I hope it never dies.

• I only download albums when they leak and i want to hear it before it's released. I pay for spotify premium and soundcloud go or whatever the fuck it's called and of course i buy vinyl, although not as much because money

• administrators

hi bando! i didn't until I started working w/ a plug who sends me every new release. way better not to have to worry about streaming or data usage when you're listening to music... that said, MP3s are heading towards the underground. they'll be around for a while, but won't ever be a legit source of income for artists/labels.

• Yeah, I keep an iTunes library of downloaded (and paid for) music. I prefer keeping a library like that. Streaming "libraries" aren't for me.

• Stream at home and download favorite tracks for offline (when i'm not at home).

• I'm all across the board, I've found. I use streaming services (Apple Music, personally) to have accessibility to music when I need to stay in the loop and when I'm on the go. But when it's music that means a lot to me personally, and I need to have a copy on file, I still download music and even buy physical copies to put on my computer. There's still something incredibly satisfying about purchasing CD's -- and the occasional vinyl -- that the convenience of streaming doesn't quite live up to. Streaming is good for the casual listener, but I still think music lovers need more than the quick fix of Apple, Spotify, or Tidal.

• No streaming here. Gimmie a hard copy (12"/cd/cass) or purchase mp3's. I like to physically "own" something and fully support my artists.

• @khal said in Do people still download music?:

@Jsar said in Do people still download music?:

I'm always anti-change until one day, I try it and it's convenient. Then you're searching Apple music and the song you wanna hear isn't available.

that always bothers me. kind of frustrating, like YOU ALMOST HAD IT, HOW IS THE TWO OR THREE BEST SONGS ON THIS RELEASE MAGICALLY NOT ON APPLE MUSIC!?

BRUH! lol or a whole entire project altogether.

• I download all the music i think is worth keeping. I tend to use Spotify solely for my first listen to judge whether or not a project is worth the time it takes me to find a zip on the web lmao

• I download everything. Scrolling through my itunes library is one of my little pleasures in life.

• @waldo fr

• administrators

@waldo said in Do people still download music?:

I download everything. Scrolling through my itunes library is one of my little pleasures in life.

same

• Downloading, for me, is mostly the realm of stuff that's not on streaming (lesser promoted old shit, etc.) and stuff from abroad that's not gonna be on streaming (or even that easy to get ahold of physically).

Looks like your connection to PigeonsandPlanes Music Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.