Universal is reportedly ending all music exclusives.

• administrators

Nothing's confirmed yet, but a letter allegedly went out to all Universal execs that spelled the end for exclusive album releases. Is this the end of an era? Do we care? Personally I think music exclusives splinter the industry, but our guy Sean made some good counter-points about the lack of label involvement and creative control here:

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/in-depth/2016/08/apple-music-frank-ocean-exclusive

• I think that eventually labels will no longer have so much control and power over their artist. Because the internet, anyone has the ability to market and fund their artistic endeavors. In my opinion, it doesn't seem right for an artist not to have complete freedom.

• I doubt the majors will be able to dictate to the Artists in the long run. There are too many ways for Artists to connect directly with consumers; if the labels don't serve the artists they'll get cut out eventually.

Competing streaming services are annoying, but when you think about it - do you have any problem with adding an HBO Go subscription on top of your Netflix if you're a Game of Thrones fan? Probly not. It shouldn't be any different with music. I like what Apple's doing in terms of investing in Artists, but I wonder how Sean thinks they can monetize without exclusives? And if it doesn't keep translating to dollars and cents how does it continue?

• administrators

@Graham said in Universal is reportedly ending all music exclusives.:

Nothing's confirmed yet, but a letter allegedly went out to all Universal execs that spelled the end for exclusive album releases. Is this the end of an era? Do we care? Personally I think music exclusives splinter the industry, but our guy Sean made some good counter-points about the lack of label involvement and creative control here:

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/in-depth/2016/08/apple-music-frank-ocean-exclusive

I highly doubt this is the end of an era; the way music is consumed isn't going to go backwards any time soon; more artists will end up just DIYing it IMHO

• A good example that was left out of the article was Chance the Rapper's release of Coloring Book on Apple Music, what with Chance sort of being the poster child for"indie" these days, and everything about his approach going so adamantly against the grain.

Ultimately, I think we're in a "trial and error" period and not necessarily seeing an era end or begin. Album rollouts are changing just like album formats are changing. We'll see where the chips fall.

• conspiracy theory: mann, this is all just one step closer to all the major labels being taken down and artist brands/indie labels emerge. Now with streaming, the game got shaken up a bit but still headed to the destruction of major labels. end

• administrators

@PoorMarty love me some conspiracies, but I feel like the majority of people are passive about their music discovery, and that's the audience that'll keep major labels afloat. There's always going to be a market for songs that everyone knows, shit that gets played in grocery stores & clubs.

the question for me is, how do indie labels get enough leverage to get placement on streaming service playlists and radio? they're never going to make it to grocery stores, but we're edging towards payday for indies.

• @Graham ah man dude. with artists like chance the rapper, and even frank oceans blond(e) (LOL) there is hope for the indies. i mean, there are so many major artists who are in fact indie who are shaping the "culture". i dont think its an edge toward, i think its big steps toward.

• Also just read this article: http://pigeonsandplanes.com/news/2016/08/frank-ocean-def-jam-deal-huge-mistake

[Stewart echoes the sentiments of many that Frank's ability to prosper on his own without the resources of his own major label is a sign of things to come. He argues that certain artists may not need labels anymore. Stewart finishes with the thought: "The next time that there is a great talent in this business — I’m talking about those special talents — you can’t be so sure that he’s going to walk through your doors anymore. There’s other options out here."]

i think this article explains another reason why labels are doomed to fail.

• very nice for African music updates visit: http://www.ghanalive.tv/category/music/

Looks like your connection to PigeonsandPlanes Music Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.